Decadence meets a nutritional powerhouse!
Who wouldn't love a guilt free decadent dessert? This recipe puts a healthy twist on a classical French Favourite! It's a healthier alternative to a pudding or custard that people of all ages will enjoy! This sweet treat is also packed with the healthy goodness of fibre and protein from lentils, plus antioxidants from the dark chocolate. The combination provides high levels of fibre and protein. It is also low in fat, and the lentils aid in blood sugar control, helping to keep you full longer. Some may think - LENTILS and CHOCOLATE!? However, red lentils have a wonderful, sweet subtle profile that when paired with chocolate creates an earthy rich flavour. And for any of you that are wondering "what on earth is an lentil?" Lentils are a type of pulse that are grown all over the prairies with the majority found in the sun-soaked province of Saskatchewan, Canada. Pulses include lentils, chickpeas, peas, and beans. Lentils are a small but mighty nutritional powerhouse. This is the perfect recipe to take to a dinner party or to bring to a pot luck! Give this recipe a try! You'll fall in love with this dessert and can indulge without the guilt!
- 1 ½ cups Whipping Cream
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 3 Eggs
- 1 cup Canned Red Lentils
- ¼ cup Powdered Sugar
- 2 tbsp Dark Cocoa Powder
- 2 cups Dark Chocolate or Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips
1. Place chocolate in microwaveable bowl and place in microwave until melted (1-2 min). Once melted mix cocoa powder into chocolate and let cool.
2. Beat eggs and icing sugar with electric mixer until doubled in size and pale in colour (5—7 minutes).
3. Fold chocolate into egg mixture until well combined. Fold lentil puree into chocolate mixture.
4. In a separate bowl whip whipping cream until medium to hard peaks form.
(you can reserve a small amount for garnish if you’d like)
5. Then fold whipping cream into chocolate mixture.
6. Place in fridge for at least 1 hour before serving to allow the mousse to firm up.
7. Serve by it self or with fruit and whipped cream.